SEI – correct, proper, original
TAI – body, posture
SHIN – acupuncture
PO – method
Seitai Shinpo is a system of acupuncture developed by Daiichi Sorimachi in the 1970s. He was the first to discover that internal organ systems could be balanced through alignment of the spine with acupuncture and moxibustion. Seitai Shinpo has been most influenced by the acupuncture-moxibustion style of Sawada Ken and the structural therapy of Sotai Ho as developed Dr. Keizo Hashimoto. For more information about Sotai Ho click here.
Treatments vary between different practitioners, but generally speaking a seitai shinpo treatment incorporates a combination of needling the front and the back of the body and the application of moxibustion using a herb called artemesia vulgaris. Diagnosis and treatment is influenced more strongly by the observation of structural distortions of the body than the reading of pulses or tongue as in other styles of acupuncture.
Goals of Seitai Shinpo Treatment
1. Correcting distortions in skeletal structure by treating the soft tissues. And thus resolving disease through the alignment of the structure.
2. Increasing the body’s natural immune response through the use of moxa.
3. Harmonizing the sympathetic & parasympathetic nervous systems. (Balancing the “fight or flight” stress response with the “rest and relaxation” response.)
4. Relieving pain and numbness through the stimulation of the vertebral nerves and the release of endorphins, serotonin, and other “feel good” chemicals.
5. Strengthening adrenal activity and supporting the cardiovascular system.
6. Stimulating the lymphatic system.
7. Balancing the organ systems.
Please note: The goals above represent our aim for each Seitai Shinpo treatment, however treatment results vary from patient to patient.